Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Non-Shabby Side

So I've made it pretty clear that most of our apartment is to be decorated in the "shabby chic" style.  I love pastel colors & distressed furniture.  However with that being said the one room in our house without a theme is our bedroom.  I have the blue walls I've dreamed off and with the black & white frames I've wanted displayed, however things are a bit eclectic in here.  The only real theme is my love for the artwork of Kurt Halsey.  However after stalking many bloggers lately I'm starting to feel my/our room is a bit to young.  I've spent a lot of money on this artwork and really hate letting it go, so I figured I'd sale off some small pieces and keep the big ones and start slowly adding some new artwork instead.

Today will be the fresh start the room needs.  I again forgot to take a before picture of a mirror I've had hanging in here.  In fact it was in my room before we moved only wearing different colors.  In it's first life it was an icky tacky gold color.  I spray painted it purple then when we moved I decided pink was my new favorite color and so it was painted ballet slipper color.  On my wall it has hung for about 10yrs now.  The other day I decided she needed to lose the mirror all together and get a white paint job (mainly white because I don't have black paint & I found these usually expensive black box shelves at Goodwill for $3.99).  Now she is all dressed & ready for her new debut as a frame.

Pictures to come soon.  I'll also be working on the top of our large wardrobe.  There is quite a bit of space up there  that needs filling up.  I'm waiting on a hand sander so I can sand it down & paint it. Anyone have any experience sanding down Ikea furniture?  Obviously this is not one of the natural wood pieces.  It's a nice large piece we got at the end of the last season for $49 marked down.  I'll update with a picture shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment