Monday, May 21, 2012

After but Not Before

Long time no post.  I know I say that a lot, however I'm horrible at taking photos of my projects and don't even get me started on taking before or during shots *shakes head*.  I'm a horrible blogger I know.  I have finished quite a few projects and sold a few on Ebay.  I recently finished a cute little table for my sister.  Well okay not FOR her, she saw it when it was finished and wanted it.  Normally I would not just give it away however it's rare for her to like anything I refurb so I felt that need to be nice.  That's what big sisters do right?

Here are a few pieces I redid and sold on Ebay.  Again I apologize for no before shots.

This is a set of sewing drawers I got a Goodwill for $3  I had seen an almost exact set used in a wedding shoot and decided I liked the distressed white so much that I had to mimic the look.

This is an old Homco (Home interior) mirror from the 70's I got from Goodwill for .49 cents.  It was a gaudy gold and I decided on a nice beachy blue.  Added a bit of ebony stain and I think she turned out perfect.  I let this one hang in our kitchen a bit before selling her.

This was a set of Homco (home interior) candle sticks I found at Goodwill for $1.99  Again gaudy gold, that got painted over with antique white and distressed.  I loved how these turned out.



This shelf from Home Interior we've had since I was a teenager.  I noticed on Ebay a lot of people were using them as knock off bed crowns.  I decided to jump on that wagon.  I first spray painted her white then mixed up my handy DIY chalk paint and hand painted over the spray paint.  Give her a bit of a distressing and she turned out great.





After all that selling I needed a trip to the local Goodwill Outlet.  I found this adorable little drop leaf table.  I suspect it once was one of those tables with the lamp through it, seeing as there was a medium sized hole that needed to be filled.  I believe someone's doggie also used the table as a teething ring since there were quite a few bite marks on the edge.  Used some wood filler and a sander and you couldn't tell there was any problems.  After that I got out the good ole DIY chalk paint and got started.  I used the antique white (for some reason I find this distressed best).  After I was done I felt like something was missing so I went to The Graphic Fairy site and found a nice tree to transfer on top.  Now this was my first time and it was a bit of a pain.  First I tried it with wax paper, that did not go well so then I tried THIS trick.  To say the least it will take some perfecting but I did like the vintage, aged look I got so I left it alone.



She was on her way to her new home when I realized I needed to take her picture.  You really can't tell how nicely she distressed.  She was and oak color underneath.


The tree is a bit faded and did not turn out perfectly but I still liked the end result.  I didn't want it looking brand new on a table that was suppose to be shabby and distressed.


I promise I'll update soon.  I have a gorgeous Paris Chic box I made out of an old cigar box I wish to share.  For now I must get back to the projects at hand.  Our local historic district (where I live) is having a neighborhood garage/yard sale on June 2nd and I plan on getting rid of some old junk along with some of my refurb stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment