Saturday, March 17, 2012

Jars on Sticks

So I like everyone else on the internet am totally in love with Apothecary jars.  Though I refuse to pay the price that most stores are asking.  With that being said I have found one or two jars in thrift stores and made sure to quickly snatch them up.  I've noticed on the web many DIY'ers making their own jars with candle stick holders and vases.  I found a small candy dish (or so I believe it's a candy dish.  It was used as one by my grandma when I was a kid) at a local GW.  At first I was going to do nothing to it, but then when I put it with my other glass vases & doo dads it just seemed to short.

Soo I epoxied it to a glass candle stick.  I also bought a dollar store vase & glued it to a matching candle stick.  However it will later be turned into a faux mercury glass vase.  For now tho they are sitting pretty on top of my newly redone hutch (pictures of that coming up soon).  So instead of one project being finished last week I completed two.  No the glass wasn't a big thing but it did get the breakables off the stand and in a place of honor.

There are no before pics or even during since it's pretty easy to do.

Here they are alone



All I used was a Styrofoam plate, epoxy that I got from Hobby Lobby for like $4, and a plastic knife.  Squirted the epoxy and onto the plate, mixed as directed then placed a bit of glue on each piece.  Found the center of the dish & vase then placed the candle stick on.  I then took a very old and very heavy german-english dictionary and weighed down the stick on the vase.  On the candy dish I used a big can of Greens.  Yes yes very expensive weights I know.  Let them set for about 20mins then put them up for 24hrs to make sure they were good and glued (plus I have cats, I'm not so stupid as to leave them in anywhere they could get them).

Here they are with some of the other glass doo dads.
I don't think they all show up too well.  I need to rethink how they are arranged.  though I must keep in mind the vase in the back if not both vases in back will become faux mercury glass soon.

Now I'm off to paint a jar or mirror or something like that.

Enjoy your weekend,
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea - I can see exactly how this worked - I would never have thought of doing that, but it looks great. Very clever. Paulax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Found your blog today and we have LOTS in common :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! =) I love your blog, I have a similar secretary desk that I saw you just redid. I never thought of spray painting it, and I love the glazing.

      Delete